International Crisis Group is accepting applications for a program director, Middle East and North Africa and a senior analyst, Egypt.
The program director will lead research, analysis, policy prescription and advocacy activities of the Middle East and North Africa Program. The Program Director will have overall management responsibility for staff members located throughout Middle East and North Africa and will serve as an integral part of the overall management of the organization through membership of the Senior Management Forum.
Based in Crisis Group’s Cairo office, the senior analyst will research and produce reports on security, political, governance, human rights and social issues related to Egypt.
Program Director Responsibilities:
- Establish and implement a research agenda, in conjunction with relevant colleagues, designed to contribute to the objectives of conflict prevention, containment and resolution in the Middle East and North Africa;
- Coordinate and supervise the analysis and research necessary to produce high-quality reports and briefings on crisis situations in MENA over the course of the year;
- Maintain and extend the advocacy program in MENA, optimising advocacy efforts to prevent and resolve conflicts, especially in relation to the publication of Crisis Group reports, with the objective of promoting the adoption of Crisis Group’s policy recommendations by concerned actors;
- Work with the Communications Unit to maximize the MENA Program’s public and private impact through writing and other communications means;
- Provide leadership, vision and direction to the work of the MENA Program, supervising staff and managing the Program’s budgetary and administrative matters in consultation with senior management at Headquarters and with supervisors within MENA;
- Work closely with representatives of governments and international and local organisations in gathering information, seeking input and feedback, and supporting the distribution of Crisis Group’s reports;
- Support fundraising efforts with selected governments, foundations and private donors through meetings and other outreach, with the assistance of the development team; and
- Serve as a member of Crisis Group’s Senior Management Forum (SMF).
- Excellent knowledge of Middle East and North Africa politics, conflicts and societies, and extensive contacts with governmental and non-governmental officials, the media, and local and international civil-society organisations working in the region;
- 10+ years professional experience in conflict analysis, journalism, NGO, international organisations or government work related to MENA with field experience in the region;
- Expertise covering governance issues, security-sector reform and institution-building;
- PhD or Master’s degree in international relations, political science, law, journalism, sociology or equivalent through experience;
- Excellent writing, editing and analytical skills, and ability to formulate well-targeted policy recommendations;
- Very strong interpersonal and communication skills, including excellent public presentation skills, a very strong capacity for effective teamwork and proven experience in a supervisory role;
- Experience communicating with the public through speaking, writing and social media.
- Experience in overseeing budgetary and administrative matters, and management of a team;
- Fluency in English required; and
- Ideally based in the region, but with a willingness to undertake extensive travel throughout MENA, and to North America and Europe.
Application procedure:Applications should be submitted in English and include a CV, cover letter and contact details of at least 3 referees. In the cover letter (of no more than two pages in length and which should be sent as an e-mail) the candidate should briefly describe his/her motivation and experience related to the post.
Please send applications by email to email@example.com, including “Program Director, Middle East & North Africa” in the subject line.
Recruitment will remain open until the appropriate candidate is selected. Please note, only candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Senior Analyst Responsibilities:
- Conducts extensive field research and provides analysis on prevailing security, social, legal, governance and political issues;
- Proposes policy initiatives for governmental, intergovernmental, political, and nongovernmental stakeholders to address and resolve sources of conflict; and
- Prepares detailed reports and briefing papers setting out relevant research findings and policy recommendations.
- Extensive knowledge of politics and society in Egypt;
- Experience in political analysis and conflict prevention;
- More than five years of professional experience in government, academia, international organisations, NGOs or journalism;
- Excellent writing, editing and analytical skills and ability to formulate well-targeted policy recommendations;
- Fluency in Arabic and English;
- Bachelor’s degree in international relations, political science, journalism, sociology or equivalent through experience;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including good public presentation skills, and a very strong capacity for effective teamwork; and
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced and often demanding environment.
Please send applications by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, including “Senior Analyst, Egypt” in the subject line.